The first trophy double of the season has happened, and no, it isn’t the domestic / european double that will be pulled off by the winner of the UEFA Champions League final between Barcelona and Manchester United.
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley has pulled off the never-before-seen Maxim / FHM sweep, after the 24-year-old British model / actress was put at the top of both the Maxim Hot 100 and FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in the World this week. I’m not in the business of nitpicking at pretty women, but I wonder what this says about these lists when they couldn’t agree on any woman from #2 through #14, but magically had the same #1. It probably says that Paramount Pictures used these two media as advertising opportunities for the upcoming Transformers: Dark of the Moon film, in which RHW is making her acting debut while replacing Megan Fox. Coincidentally, it was Fox who came closest to pulling off the same-season double, when she finished #2 on both lists in 2009.
Jessica Alba was previously the only woman to have ever won both titles, after adding the 2007 FHM Sexiest Woman in the World to her 2001 Maxim Hot 100 title.
Huntington-Whiteley topped 30-year-old funny woman Olivia Munn to claim the Maxim title, while 26-year-old California native Katy Perry was FHM’s runner-up. Mrs. Russell Brand also came in 3rd behind RHW and Munn on the Maxim Hot 100; FHM named Munn the 88th Sexiest Woman in the World. In fact, Katy Perry appears to have completed the most comprehensively impressive year in the history of men’s magazine hot lists (around 2001), although further research might be necessary to prove this assertion. Perry was voted the #8 most desirable women by the readers and editors of the online magazine AskMen.com, and also went out #9 in Esquire’s annual tournament-style selection of the “Sexiest Woman Alive,” losing out to Table favorite Erin Andrews.
Katy Perry not only was the lone woman to crack the top ten on all four major men’s magazine beauty lists, but in fact nobody else even made three top tens. Huntington-Whiteley obviously got the two trophies, but no other top tens. Brooklyn Decker, Megan Fox and Anne Hathaway were the only other women to score two top tens, which speaks both to the diversity of selectors and also the wide-ranging appeal of these women in particular. But like it or not, and I do, nobody’s appeal ranged wider in 2011 than Katy Perry’s.
*** Some Notes on the 2011 FHM Sexiest Women in the World ***
- Katy Perry was 1 spot away from joining Jessica Alba as the only women to ever win both Maxim and FHM lists, as Perry was Maxim’s Hottest of 2010.
- Cheryl Cole (shouldn’t she drop that name already) came into 2011 as the two-time defending champion, winning FHM’s title in both 2009 and 2010. But much like the L.A. Lakers, there was no threepeat to be had in 2011. Cole came in this year at #12, behind fellow Brits Huntington-Whiteley and 2005 FHM winner Kelly Brook, who is #8.
Cheryl Cole came closer to a Three-peat than the L.A. Lakers did!
- Six Americans made the top 10: Perry, Fox, Olivia Wilde, Decker, Marisa Miller and Nicole Scherzinger
Marisa Miller was underrated when Maxim voted her #1 in 2008.
- Kristen Stewart came in at #13, while Twilight counterpart Ashley Greene is #17. They’ve been in the same room together numerous times, and Stewart has at no point in time ever been as physically attractive or charismatically engaging as Greene. Even Edward Cullen said if Alice wasn’t his vampire sister, he would have chosen to be with her over Bella Swan.
- The Minogue sisters were #51 and #56, with Kylie edging out Dannii. So many things here, but, 1) you sure about that order, and 2) is this 2001? I wish it was…
Dannii and Kylie Minogue, circa when they were true Top 10ers.
Jenna Fischer – Still the Most Underrated Beauty
- Late Gems: Spots 90 through 97 saw previous Maxim and FHM top fivers in Angelina Jolie (90), Zoe Saldana (91), Malin Akerman (92), Gisele Bundchen (95) and Bar Refaeli (97), who more accurately was Maxim’s #6 this year. Additionally, the cosmically underrated Leona Lewis finished at #94.
- To blow my 90s spots idea to hell, Lady Gaga is somehow #99. No link provided — I wouldn’t do that to you.